When not in the studio, the Ricoh GR and the Leica M-P (Typ 240) are my main cameras. I love them both dearly and would encourage anyone who are looking for their life-long camera bodies to consider both of them (mostly their most recent iterations because mine are old), but it is rare that I have them both at the same time, so here is how I breakdown my uses for them.
What I use the Leica for
I used to have my Leica in a little red Artisan camera case in my bag everyday… until it had a bit of electrical problem that led to a very expensive calibration/repair. Ever since then, I only bring this camera on occasions when I really want to capture something candid yet artistic. Not all of the get-togethers I attend/places I go to are conducive for bigger cameras. For the lens, for the longest time, I only had a 50mm f/1.4, but since getting the 35mm f/1.4, that has been the mainstay. I prefer a wider field of view for general walking around, though it does make me step in closer when shooting people. This is the camera I bring if I want to put a little bit more thought in every shot.
When I want to capture things a little more artistically
When I want have a little more character/story in the candid photos
When there is a possibility that I might print the output in the future
When I don’t need group shots (of people)
If I have bag I can stow this in securely
When the area is relative safe and the weather is cooperative
The Low Down
This is a 24MP, full-frame, digital rangefinder camera (the “P” designation is the version having less Leica marking and a more minimalist design). It uses Leica M lenses (not included) or Leica R lenses with and M adapter.
Below are some samples from the archives at and around our friend Toy’s place because she does a lot of the most fun hangs.
What I use the Ricoh GR for
The Ricoh is always in my jacket pocket or my bag everyday. Ever since I started to lean in on doing street photography and invested on one of these old pocket rockets, day to day documentation of events leveled up. I particularly like the harsh flash with the vibrant colors for party shots, but the SOOC shots indoor and outdoors are extremely solid (see previous Hilma af Klint post). The Ricoh GR line for street and everyday photography is a definite recommend for me. Not the cheapest, but it produces quality photos, super easy to carry around and you can really beat it up. This is the camera I bring everyday or whenever I just want to whip it out and document something.
Everywhere I can (if I have pocket big enough, it’ll be in it)
When I don’t need high quality output
More group shots (indoor in parties)
When I want to be incognito (outside in the streets)
The Low Down
This is a 16MP APS-C (crop) sensor with a fixed 18.3mm f/2.8 lens which is equivalent to a 28mm in 35mm format. The camera can digitally crop to 35mm and 45mm as well.
Below are some recent sample of somewhat the same crew, from the most recent hang at Toy’s for her birthday!
Other cameras to be featured
Canon 5D Mark III: My main camera body for 95% of my studio/apartment shoots. The other 5%, I use my…
Panasonic GF-1: My studio snapshot look camera.
Canon 1D Mark III: My backup camera when I do a wedding.
Canon C100 Mark II: For when I do some staged videos.
GoPro Hero: On the rare occasion I do something active.